Friday, March 26, 2010

QUIZ TIME

I have eight depictions of period actors, each showing one of the Ten Major Emotions actors trained to express. Can you identify them?



























1. The pose in question is that of the woman on the right. From Box and Cox.




2. Again, look at the woman's pose, from unidentified play and actors.


















3. Both these pictures of Dame Ellen Terry show the same emotion.



4. Edwin Booth as Iago bristles with a particular mood.



5. Edmund Kean, here as Othello; is he communicating his feeling clearly?



6. Julia Marlowe is overcome by her mood as Beatrice in Much Ado About Nothing.



7. Mary Anderson; the play is unknown, but her emotion should be obvious.




8. How do you respond to this attitude by Marie Wilkins in Two Orphans?

An earlier post of The Ten Major Emotions has a drawing and verbal description for each, included under the link "stage gestures."

3 comments:

Liz said...

This is great - I would like to use this in my class and was hoping to know the 'answers' to the quiz! Really wonderful site - thank you for keeping it up.

Buff Huntley said...

The answers are in an earlier post -- please look at "Ten Major Emotions for Actors" posted in August 2007. They have pictures for each emotion. If you're still having trouble, let me know -- but really, it's more fun trying to match them yourself.

Liz said...

Ah, thank you. I guess if I expect my students to give a good effort I'll have to as well :)